For your spell check issue, that thread should help:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67

Beware, you're not subscribed to the mailing list.

Hagar

Le 05.04.2008 13:27, Matteo Bosisio a écrit :

Dear Ladies/Sirs,

I've been glad to use Open Office for almost 1 year, but I've found some
problems I would like to share with You.
My hope, of course, is that they will be solved in the next OOreleases.

I'm from Italy, so I hope you won't be sorry for my lame English.

Program Version: Writer, in the OO Suite 2.4.0 (Italian)

Used Pc's: Compaq Presario F500ea + a 5 year old Packard Bell desktop pc

1st problem: Spell and grammar check

I've been experiencing heavy delays while using the spell checker.
  a.. When I start the spell check (by pressing F7, for example), it takes a LOT of time
between one operation and another, even if I simply click "Ignore" in the spell
check window. (sometimes more than 20 seconds per operation, even on the presario, which
is quite new and fast with videogames)
  b.. While doing this, Writer seems to be going to crash: sometimes I get long waiting times with the
"sandclock cursor" showing, some other times I try to click in the window, and the top bar reads
"Open Office (Busy)" ("Open Office (Non risponde)", in italian). After stucking in this
condition for several seconds, the program goes on with the check (at the same slow speed).

  a.. I've experienced similar delays also while using the "real time spell
check", the ones Which activates while you tipe.
  b.. If I right-click a red-underlined wrong word to get spell suggestions,
the program stucks for about ten seconds, and then it shows the right-click
menu with suggestions et cetera.

  a.. Such delays are really a pain the neck: I bypass them only exporting the
documents in .doc format and then checking with the MS Word spell check.
  b.. I think these delays may be caused by the presence of ALL of the language
supports in the installed program. Of course, I'm not sure, it could also be a
problem with the check engine or anything else.

2nd problem: Layout copy tool
  a.. I'm also having problems with the layout copy tool (the blue brush just on the
right of the "paste" icon).
  b.. Bulleted list: problems with the levels. If I copy a layout of bulleted
list level 2 or higher onto a unlisted paragraph, i always get a level 1 list.
  c.. Sometimes it even DOESN'T apply the list layout as a whole.
d.. The layout copy tool often deletes a part or the whole of the font layout (bold, italics...), although I press CTRL while pasting the layout 3rd problem: Commas
  a.. If I activate the automatic substitution of normal commas (' and ") with "typographic
commas", I logically get "typographic commas" in the text. That's perfect.
  b.. AFTER THAT, if I look for a phrase including commas (from the CTRL+F
command), I cannot find any such expression (The expression is in the text, i'm
sure because I actually typed it in)
  c.. Solution: I think this happens because the CTRL+F command does NOT recognise
"typographic" commas, but just the normal ones, which are autosubstituted while
typing in the text.
These are the main problems I've encountered.
I hope this notification will be useful... OpenOffice is a real huge project,
and it'd be great to be part of it!

Best regards
Matteo Bosisio