On 04/04/2008 21:49, Kim Parrish wrote:
We recently installed OpenOffice for our remote users that do not have Excel loaded. It is wonderful, however, I need to change the settings that OpenOffice will only open excel documents and not Microsoft Word or WordPerfect documents. How do I do this?
This is really na Windows question, not an OpenOffice one. You need to change the "associations" for Word (.doc) and WordPerfect files. To do this for Word files, *right* click on a document and choose Properties. Near the top it says "Open with" followed by the icon and name of a program. This is the program that Windows will invoke when you open this type of file (the program "associated with" this type of file). Just to the right of the program's name is a button labelled Change. Click this and browse to the program you want to use for this type of file. Ensure the little box labelled "Always use this program ..." is ticked (checked) before clicking OK. Repeat the process for WordPerfect files. Note that you need only do this once for each *type* of file.

When you install OpenOffice you are asked if it should make itself the "default handler" for Excel, Word and PowerPoint files separately. Someone somewhere must have answered "yes". I don't think OOo asks about WordPerfect files and I'm very surprised that OOo has changed the association for them. But I live and learn :-)

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England