On 07/04/2008 17:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
OpenOffice was recommended to me as a fine download to help me in preparing
business letters.

I have completed the free download and now have the OpenOffice icon on my
monitor screen. When I double-click on the icon, a lot of data pops up. But I
don't know where to go from there to bring up a format that will let me compose
letters.

Hoping you can give this old dinosaur some guidance.

Which version of which Operating System are you using?

"... a lot of data pops up". Please be specific. Do you get error messages - which ones? Please state clearly what happens when you double-click on the icon. I assume you are using some species of Windows. After downloading a fairly large file, did you run that file to install OpenOffice? If not, that's probably the answer. Once OOo is installed you run it via the Start>All Programs mechanism you use for normal Windows programs. Pick Text Document to compose a letter. After installing OOo you can delete the file you downloaded *and* the temporary folder into which the installer "unpacked" itself. Please read the Installation Instructions linked to from the download page (right hand side). Once you have the software installed, the best source of "getting started" documentation is at http://documentation.openoffice.org/

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England