Scott Meyers wrote:
I'm working on a document where I have repeated phrases that are a pain to type and format. One is "Lbegin" where the "L" is normal text and the "begin" is subscripted and italicized. To save time, I just typed "Lbegin" everywhere, formatted the first one, copied it to the clipboard, then sat down to search for "Lbegin" and replace it with the contents of the clipboard. Except that this does not seem to be a valid replacement option. I also tried pasting the formatted "Lbegin" into the replacement box, but that lost all the formatting, i.e., "begin" was neither subscripted nor italicized after replacement.

Sorry I cannot give you a working example right now, but how about recording the complete sequence of operations you follow to get that "Lbegin" as a macro and giving it a keyboard shortcut? Then by repeating that keyboard shortcut you can reproduce the same sequence of steps and hence the "Lbegin" formatted the same way.

For example. there is a numbered equation macro in OOo, IIRC it is fnF3. Thus pressing "fn" and F3 gives a numbered equation E=mc2.

In other words, you are basically creating your own custom command to typeset that particular set of characters/words and applying your formatting.

->HS