Harold Fuchs wrote:
On 14/04/2008, Ganesha Bhaskara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

Mr. Bhaskara,
I have seen interesting replies from you to several questions in this list.

I don't like companies who force me to rely on/pay money to them to access my own data ....... ;-)

Unfortunately they will not be seen by the people to whom you think you
have have responded because those people are not subscribed to the list
and you have not explicitly included their e-mail addresses in the To:
or cc: parts of your replies. The above message is a case in point. You
did not explicitly include [EMAIL PROTECTED] in your reply.

This list [controversially] accepts questions from users who have not
taken the trouble to subscribe.

I believe this is a good thing. Our goal here is to build a good support system for OO. Distributed, parallel human computation ........ nothing can beat that.

The only way to tell if a user is
subscribed is to look at the e-mail "headers". The sender is not
subscribed if there is a header "Delivered-To: moderator for
users@openoffice.org". The user is subscribed if and only if this header
is absent.

Some e-mail clients, like Thunderbird, can filter on this header and,
for example, highlight in red all messages from unsubscribed users.
Other e-mail clients, like Outlook Express, cannot do this.
Unfortunately using "Reply All" doesn't help.

Thanks for the info. I will appropriately change my filters.

Some of the volunteers who help in this list take the approach that they
are not going to go to any special lengths for those users who can't be
bothered to subscribe and that if such users don't see a reply that's
their misfortune. This part of the world is relatively free ...