Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I thought *sure* that OO.o writer
used to have a way to bring up the style organizer in a separate window.
Did it?

I cannot find a way to do this at this time -- whenever I bring it up,
it always shows up as a sort of sidebar to the main text window.

I can minimize is to that it takes up nearly no room at all,
but if I want to use it, it uses up maybe 2" of the width of the window.
(Give or take, depending on how I resize it,
but 2" is about the minimum necessary.)

I looked in the help menu, but it just told me how to start the style
organizer such that it comes up in that same fashion.

Am I missing something obvious?