-------- Original Message --------
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue 15 Apr 2008 19:20:31 EST

There appears to be a way to change the default fonts and size of fonts for new documents under
Tools | Options | OpenOffice.org Writer | Basic Fonts (Western)

However anything set here appears to be largely ignored even if "Current document only" is not ticked.

Another way that is somewhat more successful is to create a default document and then save it as a template File | Templates | Save | My Templates and give the new template a name and click OK.
Then make that template the default template
File | Templates | Organise | select the template under My Templates | Commands | Set as default template

However that only works when you create a new file under File | New | Text Document

Or by simply starting Writer (swriter.exe) from a shortcut/icon.

If you go to Windows Explorer (obviously only under Windows - I have no idea what the equivalent of this is on Linux or Mac) and go to File | New | OpenDocument Text to create a new document it will not only ignore any settings under Tools | Options | etc but will also ignore any default templates.

This would appear to be a significant oversight.

Neil

This is an extremely unusual and cumbersome method of creating a new document and not one that many users would normally employ, but the document generated by this method does revert to the original Writer defaults, not to the user defined default template.

I don't have time to pull up the source code and find out how the document is being generated from the Explorer menu. So I would suggest you submit an issue to http://qa.openoffice.org

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave