Harold Fuchs wrote:
Please, what is the difference between Open/Save on the one hand and
Import/Export on the other?

In OOo, the terms have very specific meanings--far more specific than the English words themselves.

When OOo has program code that supports both reading and saving in a particular file format, that format is included in the File > Open, File > Save lists.

When OOo has program code that supports only writing, but not reading, then OOo puts that format on the File > Export menu.

There is no File > Import menu, so I don't know what happens if OOo can only read a format. It comes under Insert > File or Picture, I guess.

The idea is, as J.R. already mentioned, that File > Open/Save should 'remember' and preserve the original file format.

Likewise, when OOo allows writing in a format that cannot be read back, then the user should have to use a different menu. E.g. you File > Export a drawing as an image, because there's no way to perform the reverse operation (image to drawing).

<soapbox>
I think this distinction is more confusing than helpful because it is based on an engineering concept that goes beyond the common understanding of the words. Does it make sense to "Save" a document in a format that doesn't preserve all of the current formatting? Do most users understand the distinction between file operations that OOo implements?
</soapbox>

<Joe