On 04/15/2008 09:42 AM, Bob Dowling wrote:
> One particular combination of fonts isn't appearing in my OpenOffice.org
> font selector, even though all its variant forms are.
>
> In the font selector (for the paragraph style) I select "DejaVu Sans"
> for the font.  The list of typefaces I am presented in the middle column
> is then:
> ExtraLight
> Book
> Condensed Oblique
> Bold
> Bold Oblique
>
> but not simply Condensed.  However, I do have that font/typeface
> installed.  How can I get at it?
>

> Details:
>
> I am running OpenSuSE 10.3 and OpenOffice 2.3.0.1.2 from the OpenSuSE
> package set OpenOffice_org-*-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.  I have installed the
> DejaVu TrueType fonts from the SuSE package dejavu-2.19-14 and I have no
> reason to believe they are incorrectly installed.

Works for me. However I also have it installed in:

~$ locate DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
/home/<user>/.openoffice.org2/user/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
/home/<user>/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf

If you'd like I can remove from /home/<user>/.openoffice... and
/home/<user>/fonts/... to see if it's still picked up by OOo.

In OOo I'm also showing:
ExtralLight
Book
Condensed
Condensed Oblique
Oblique
Bold
Condensed Bold
Bold Oblique
Condensed Bold Oblique

[snip]

> So "condensed oblique" is making it through OO.o but "condensed",
> "condensed bold" and "condensed bold oblique" aren't.
>
> I would have expected OO.o to have offered me either an extra font
> ("Deja Vu Sans Condensed" alongside "DejaVu Sans") or to have offered me
> the single font with nine typefaces ("ExtraLight", "Book", "Bold",
> "Oblique", "Bold Oblique", "Condensed", "Condensed Bold", "Condensed
> Oblique", "Condensed Bold Oblique").  Instead I get a glimpse of a
> single condensed typeface, but not the rest.  It's truly bizarre.
>

> I have root access to my system if required and I'm not afraid to
> experiment.  Suggestions welcome.

Have you updated your font cache lately? You might try:

sudo fc-cache -f -v

to update all of your font cache.

Also see:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ