To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Calc question - sorting data.?

At 16:41 15/04/2008 +0800, James Elliott wrote:
If I download 100 transactions it is tedious to type into a spare column:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
99
100

You are making heavy weather of this. Spreadsheets are designed to make your life easy!

To enter these numbers, either:

o  Enter the number 1 where it is required.
o  Select the relevant cell.
o Click on the small rectangle at the bottom right of the cell (the "fill handle") and drag this down the column as required.

or:

o  Select the range of cells that you need filled.
o  Go to Edit | Fill > | Series... .
o  Enter 1 for "Start value" and press OK.

So, I used a formula where Cell C76 contained a "1"
C77=C76+1 .... and copied this formula so
C78=C77+1
C79=C78+1
etc

Then I sorted first by the DATE column and then by Column C, but I found that formulas do not sort in exactly the same way as integer numbers, [...]

You can also use the fill technique on formulae, of course. And a workaround here would be to copy the block of formulae and then use Edit | Paste Special... to paste them back into the same cells. Remove the tick from "Paste all", and then make sure that Formulas is *not* ticked but Numbers is. Then you'll have the plain numbers that you want in the cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker