On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Tim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am in the process of migrating my wife from Windows XP to kubuntu 7.10.
> I believe that .odt files will be the default, but I'm wondering if there
> is a
> way to set Open Office so that any legacy .doc (MS-word) files that are
> opened and edited will be saved as .doc files.
>
> If I open and edit an MS Word document in OpenOffice 2.4 Writer and then
select "File > Save" from the menu Writer presents a prompt asking if I'd
like to save the document in Word format or save in OpenOffice format. Click
"Yes" to save in Word format.

Based on this you shouldn't need to do anything to save legacy MS Word
documents in MS Word format except save them and confirm you wish to retain
MS Word format when prompted.