On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:52:08 -0700
Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope I've reached the right address.  My question is about the
> copyright to Open Office.  I would like to use some screen shots of
> various Open Office programs in a film and wondered if I need
> permission to do this.  Any help you could provide would be greatly
> appreciated.

This is a user mailing list where users help each other out with
issues related to using OpenOffice.org (OO.o). So you may get differing
opinions, most without official backing.

You could run into trouble with opensource programs that have multiple
contributors as often each holds the copyright on their own piece of
code. Thankfully with OpenOffice.org you only need to deal with Sun
Microsystems as all contributors have signed joint copyright ownership
with Sun for the program under the JCA:
http://bn.openoffice.org/files/documents/182/2198/jca.pdf

I think this is the webpage at Sun that will be most useful, although
many Sun employees as OO.o contributors are generally lurking on this
mailing list.
http://www.sun.com/software/licensingcenter/

I suspect the official view will be "Sure, go ahead if it isn't porn or
any other film likely to bring the program into disrepute". I also think
that they will see it as an excellent advertising opportunity for the
program.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416