James Knott wrote:
Mary Beth Holzwarth wrote:
Hi! I installed the 2.2 version and then updated for the 2.4. I was a little frustrated when told it was free and then had to pay but that's neither here nor there. When I downloaded it, it asked if I would like Open Office to access my other documents and I selected yes, or however it was worded. I have not been able to open anything from my Microsoft Office documents. My computer came with Microsoft Office, but when I ordered it, they neglected to inform me that it was all trial versions until one day when I was unable to do anymore work. So now I have a whole bunch of very important documents that I can't do anything with. I was told that Open Office would be able to carry those over to it's program and I could still work with them. Is this just a, "well, you only paid $30 for something so you get what you paid for" as I can't afford a $300 version of Microsoft Office, or is it simply Operator error? : ) I really need these documents so I can print them and work with them. Any help you could give me would be great. If I could get a phone call from a real person that would be better. Thank you all so much for putting up with the computer illiterate. Thanks again and God bless!

Where did you get v2.4 from, that you had to pay for it? It's a free download from www.openoffice.org.

You mentioned you got a trial version of Microsoft Office with your computer, which has now expired. You likely saved your files in the new Office 2007 (.DOCX etc.) formats, which OpenOffice does not yet support. You have just experienced one form of Microsoft lock in. They give you the trial version and then expect you to buy Office from them to access your now trapped documents. There is a way around it. You can download the free viewers from Microsoft, which will allow you to read your documents and cut & paste the contents into another application, such as OpenOffice.

You can get those viewers and the compatibility pack here:

Word 2007 Viewer and Compatibility Pack:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD102258581033.aspx

PowerPoint 2007 Viewer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048DC840-14E1-467D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en

Excel 2003 Viewer and Compatibility Pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=en

You can try  a file conversion services such as http://www.zamzar.com
it worked for me.