John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Sun, 04 May 2008 07:57:32 -0400
James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

In any case, there are no 64-bit builds listed on the official download page: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

Quite so. I've had a 64 bit Linux version for almost 2 years now. I've never seen a 64 bit version on the OpenOffice site.

I have been using the SUSE version for almost 2 years.
Then why aren't you using the 64-bit build? 'Thought you were. 'Been working so many hours my RAM is a tad tired. ;)

Ummm... Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why do you think I don't? I posted "Quite so. I've had a 64 bit Linux version for almost 2 years now." in an earlier note. See above.

I bought an AMD 64 mom board almost 2 years ago and had 64 bit OpenOffice shortly after that.

My first venture into Linux was Ubuntu Breezy, which had just been
released at the time. It came with whatever was the current version of
OOo at the time. I just assumed it was a 64-bit compile. I've never
needed to install a version from OOo except during the days of Feisty,
when drag and drop of text was broken. (Compiling from source didn't
resolve the matter; the problem was in Feisty, not OOo.) Today I have
OOo 2.4 that the recent upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy installed. I assume
it is 64-bit. After all, OOo is open source, so if Ubuntu, Suse, or any
other distro wants to, they can just compile it as 64-bit and put
the .deb or .rpm in their repositories.

But having said that, why is there no official 64-bit .deb or .rpm on
OOo's website? Is it not fairly trivial just to compile the source for
64-bit?

OpenSUSE did not initially have a "released" 64 bit version of OO, but they did have a development version available. While I have no idea about OpenOffice, one thing to watch for is different variable sizes, between 32 & 64 bits. I experienced this sort of thing years ago, when I was taking a C programming course. In the class we used Borland's Turbo C++ for DOS (16 bit) and at home I did my homework on Borland C++ for OS/2 (32 bit). On occasion, I'd find that while my code worked well at home, it would fail in class, because I'd overflowed a variable or other issues caused by the different number of bits used. So, changing CPUs is not always just a matter of recompiling.