M Henri Day wrote:
2008/5/10 Ganesha Bhaskara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

M Henri Day wrote:

Here a link (http://tinyurl.com/3ja7xy) to a recent InfoWorld article
which
claims that OOo 3.0b has significant problems dealing with MS Office
2007
xml files.

FYI ....... MS office 2007 itself is not compliant with OOXML standard.
Infact, OOXML itself is in the process of being revised
and hence it is not surprising to find bugs in software that implements
a moving target. It is only after OOXML standard stabilizes, will the
various
implementations start converging.

I fear, Ganesh, that you miss the point of the exercise.

We as a community of OO users can help the developers by providing
feedback on compatibility with other office suites out there, especially
MS office. That said, I think we must be proactive in trying to set the FACTS
straight. I thought the article was biased. it starts with the article title
"OpenOffice.org beta fails the Office 2007 test" ........ like Office 2007 is
some kind of official standard. It is not.

Most users that
have followed the relevant discussion on this list will, of course, be aware
of the fact that, just as you point out, MS Office 2007 is not itself
compliant with the so-called Office Open XML «standard». Nor, given the
manner in which Microsoft seems to operate, is there anything here at which
to be surprised....
It is always good to remind people "one more time" that docx is not ISO standard compliant and docx and OOXML may or may not be the same. Interoperability with MS 2007 office can
be tricky especially if

1) docx is the default MS office 2007 format
2) MS office 2007 is ISO standard compliant

Note that this does not necessarily translate to docx will be follow ISO standard.
The safest bet would be to completely aviod using docx for now and using
the
traditional 2003 format for MS office documents. MS office 2007 will be
able to
save files in 2003 office formats.

The problem is that OOo users are receiving, e g, documents saved in docx

I am receiving docx documents too and I DON'T like it at all. It is FORCING me to install Windows Office 2007 on a virtual machine. Since I don't use windows often, windows wants to install updates when ever I use it ...... especially when I try
to shut down the virtual machine ..... hate it when that happens.

I will not be able to continue to use OO for collaborative editing of documents as
most of the people I work with will be moving to MS office 2007.
docx is one way of making sure document editing softwares other than MS Office
2007 are kept out of the network. (will remember !!)

I would like to get OO to import and export files from and to docx and OOXML, so that
I can continue to use OO.

format from their correspondents, and it has here been indicated that the
compatibility problems this has engendered will be resolved with the release
of OO 3.0 this fall. The *InfoWorld* article to which I forwarded a link
casts some doubt on whether, indeed, this will prove to be the case : «There
may still be time to get involved and help iron out the
bugs<http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/announcementbeta.html>with
Office 2007 support -- but I [i e, Neil McAllister] doubt it».
The article does recommend MS Office 2007 users to save documents,
spreadsheets, etc, in MS Office 2003 formats for the time being - «For now,
my recommendation remains the same: If you're an Office 2007 user, like me,
you'll probably want to keep saving your documents in Office 2003 format --
at least until OpenDocument becomes more mainstream», but given the fact
that a majority of these have likely not even heard of OOo, if they do
follow this recommendation - which I doubt, given the fact that Word in MS
Office 2007 is configured to save to docx format by default - it will be to
accommodate other MS Office users who are still running earlier versions of
the programme. My hope in forwarding the link to our list was to call forth
a response from other users who are in the process of testing OO0 3.0b and,
not least, the developers....

 Have other users who've tested OOo 3.0b also found this to be the
case ?

Yes ...... there are issues.

An independent confirmation of Mr McAllister's experience....

 As the beta is not (yet ?) available in a 64-bit version, I've not
had the opportunity to test it myself....
I thought 32bit libraries and software could be executed on 64 bit OSs
Henri
Henri