The problem was that the the attempt to change the icon brought out a
large selection of suggested replacement icons, none of which was
appropriate. It also seems to be impossible to add additional icons to
those provided, regardless of tile type.

Since nobody here was able to suggest a solution, I think I ought to
describe what I did, hopefully saving others the trouble.

I found that the suggested icons are located in directory
</opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps>. (There are other directories
for other sizes, and icons relating to other than applications.) It was
easy to add (as root) other icons to the directory, but I found that only
*.png files will show up in the button configuration process, so I had to
convert one file from ico to png.

Easy enough. I have no idea why KDE doesn't think it should have been
documented.

I hope this is useful to others.

--
Stan Goodman