At 22:38 21/05/2008 -0400, Melvin Smith wrote:
I am writing a manuscript and wish to include lists of names of people. When I had microsoft, I could enter columns into text for a short period, and then return to full width text, and go back and forth. I have NOT been able to figure out how to do that with openoffice. I am totally frustrated on this one point. I then was told to create tables, but when I did that, the names (which were in alphabetical order, went down from page to page to page, rather than go to the 2nd column and then 3rd column on the same page. When I went to "help" I really couldn't understand the terminology.

This is fairly easy in OpenOffice Writer once you know how to do it - using "sections".

o  Go to Insert | Section... .
o  On the Columns tab, select the number of columns you desire.
o  Press Insert.
o Type your material into the columns produced. The text will flow from one column to the next as you require.

You can continue to enter text normally after the section, and can create more sections as required, of course.

I am a retired college professor trying to do a project and I'm lost. I took the survey hoping it would give me an opportunity to vent my frustrations, but several of those terms I didn't understand, either. I guess I'm too old for some of this technical stuff, but I try.

I very much doubt that you are "too old" for OpenOffice, but just that it may be new to you and you will need to get to know it in order to use it fluently. If the help text doesn't solve your problem, the intelligent next step is to ask this mailing list - which is exactly what you did.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker