----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Allan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:34 PM
Subject: [users] Re: User Interface Language cannot be determined

Anthony Creswell wrote:

I installed OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta on Windows XP successfully, and it ran
well for a few days.
However it now won't start now and gives me the following message:

"The application cannot be started. The User Interface Language cannot be
determined"

I have removed the program and re-installed having run CCleaner between
installs.

Help please, as I was impressed during the few days that OpenOffice 3 was up
and running.

I see no-one has yet responded, perhaps because no-one on this forum has
had this problem or has heard about it happening before.

I have Openoffice.org 3.0 Beta running on both Windows XP and Windows
Vista with no comparable problem (and have not encountered or heard of a
comparable problem with any earlier version of OpenOffice.org),

You might try removing OpenOffice again after first noting down all the
paths  found in Tools -> Options > OpenOffice.org -> Paths. These paths
contain files which are used to retain your settings when you uninstall
and reinstall again, and it is possible that one of the settings files
has become corrupted. In Windows you may need to set some of the folders
to be visible.

Delete or rename these paths on your system and delete or rename the
folder “OpenOffice 3” and the folder “Open Office” in your C:\Program
Files folder. This should allow a clean reinstall without using any old
files.

If you still have the problem when you reinstall after this cleanup or
if the problem later reoccurs, I recommend filing it as a bug on the
OpenOffice.org website and sticking to OpenOffice 2.4 for the time being.

As you appear not to be subscribed to this forum, I am sending a copy of
this message directly to your email address. If you have any further
comments or questions, please address them directly to
users@openoffice.org, not to my personal email address.

Jim Allan

Jim is correct
When I had trouble with a printing/printer problem,
I found out, the hard way, that OOo does not remove the
user options and the extention when you uninstall.

I had to go to the C:\program...... directory and remove/rename
it before I could fix my problem.  Sometimes even the non-beta
versions the software (any software) can "hickup" and change some
user defined value or hardware definded value.  The only recourse
is to get rid of the created directories.  I have had that problem with
Abobe's CS2 and 3 version placing almost 1 gig of files that were
left on my computer after an uninstall of Photoshop CS3 and some
others.

Tim L.