William Buffett wrote:
I just joined, but I'm not sure OpenOffice can help me.  I'm a writer and
use my computer to email friends as well as to write and to do various
household matters.  If you can help, 'd sure like to know where to begin.

You haven't said much about your requirements, so it's hard to give solid advise. OpenOffice is a general purpose office suite, comparable to Microsoft Office. As a writer, your main focus would likely be the word processing app called "Writer". Another useful component is the spreadsheet, called Calc. There is also a database application, "Base". If you're into writing scientific or technical works, you may find the math editor "Math" useful. For graphics, you can use "Draw". As for emailing to friends, there's one thing you have to be careful of. OpenOffice, by default, saves in the ISO standard ODF file formats, which Microsoft Office users can't open, unless they've installed a plugin, such as the one from Sun. This means they'll expect the files to be sent in a Microsoft format, such as .DOC. You can do this in two ways. One is to simply select the appropriate format, when using Save as (make sure automatic file name extension is selected) or simply click on File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word etc. You can also export or email a PDF file.

You haven't mentioned if you have OpenOffice installed. If not, download the latest version from www.openoffice.org. Then (assuming you're running Windows) double click on the downloaded file to start the installation process. Once that's completed, you should have an OpenOffice folder & icons in your Start menu.

If you describe your needs a bit better, perhaps we could provide more advice.

Sun ODF Plugin:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin