Joseph wrote:

James Knott wrote:
rechele bastarache wrote:
Hello everyone! I am interested in using openoffice for word processing purposes. I downloaded the entire suite, because from what I understand, you can no longer download specific programs. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) So I have tons of new icons now but cannot locate the writing program. All I want to do is open a new document, and I can't figure out how. I have looked all over. Any feedback about this would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance to all those who may respond!
Did you actually install OpenOffice? Assuming you're running Windows, you do this by double clicking on the downloaded file. This will start the installation process. When that completes, you should have an OpenOffice folder and icons in your Start menu. Are they there?

I'd suspected that maybe he was thinking about the string of about 6 different icons for Calc, Impress, Writer, etc.

Perhaps not. Some new users see the installation folder on the desktop and all the files in there, and not those in the Start menu.