Ian Samson wrote:
This is a wonderfully open group ... is there any way of filtering out those
messages I don't need other than creating GMail Filtering Rules? My mailbox
was full with about 26 new mail messages today and I simply do not have the
time to read through all of them.

For what it's worth, I typically just delete messages without reading when I can tell from the subject line that (a) It doesn't apply to me, therefore there won't be any relevant learning that can happen from reading this; and (b) I know I won't have anything useful to contribute.

For example, anything that has to do with difficulties installing on a Mac, I delete immediately. Similarly for anything that is Linus-specific, or anything having to do with Base. For you, it may well be different subjects that you know aren't relevant.