mike scott wrote:
On 7 Jun 2008 at 7:11, Michael Adams wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:14:50 -0400
Jerry Feldman wrote:

If I have a column of numbers, say A1 to A200 and a =SUM(A1:A200)

Now, I replicate A200 down to A300. Is there any good technique I can
set up the sum so that it will reflect this change without manually
having to change is to =SUM(A1:A300).

The actual problem I have is that I have a number of columns I need to
replicate as well as a number of different sums.
I typically in this situation adjust the SUM calculation when i first
set it up to go as far as i may need it in the future. If you go through
and set it to =SUM(A1:A999), then whatever the number of cells gets
reasonably changed too, the formula will still work. The problem you
have then only occurs when you have a change of an order of magnitude.
In my situation i normally put the SUM calculation at the top of the
relevant column, or on a summary sheet.

Which is fine for sum(), but what about other functions, such as median() or stddev()? You mustn't include empty cells in those!

There is no problem including blank cells in statistical computations, such as median or stdev. The blank cells are properly ignored (not treated as zero values, for example).