I've been trying to learn OOo scripting, and so far I've learned a few
things by finding examples. For instance, to open a text file and read
from it, you have to do something like this:

    FilePickerDlg = createUnoService( "com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.FilePicker" )
    FilePickerDlg.appendFilter( "DSX Files", "*.dsx" )
    selected = FilePickerDlg.execute()
    Files = FilePickerDlg.getFiles()
    FileName = ConvertFromURL( Files(0) )
    Doc = StarDesktop.CurrentComponent
    Sheet = Doc.Sheets.getByName("Control")
    SFA = createUnoService( "com.sun.star.ucb.SimpleFileAccess" )
    InFile = SFA.openFileRead( FileName )
    TextInputStream = createUnoService("com.sun.star.io.TextInputStream")
    TextInputStream.setInputStream(InFile)
    TextLine = TextInputStream.readLine()
    Sheet.getCellByPosition(0, 0).String = TextLine

First of all, that's a lot more complex than in Excel:

    importfile = Application.GetOpenFilename("DSX Files (*.dsx), *.dsx")
    Open importfile For Input As #1
    Line Input #1, TextLine
    Cells(0, 0) = TextLine

Secondly, where am I supposed to find out all that createUnoService
stuff? I could only write the above by spending three evenings
searching the interwebs for examples and asking either here or on a
newsgroup.

I think OOo is great, but I'm really struggling with this. Are any of
the other scripting languages easier to use than OOo Basic?

Phil Hibbs.
--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?