Roy,

Adding to what others have said...
- Files are stored on your computer
- You can choose where on your computer they are stored
- for additional information about where files are stored and how to modify
the location refer to
page 63 of...
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0100GS-GettingStarted.pdf
there's just a little bit of text and an illustration