Phil Morgan-Ellis wrote:
Excuse me for the exasperation...but I really HATE having a piece of software telling me how to think.

I need to put together a worksheet for my class. I'm using the OO Spreadsheet so I can get nice columns. Eight columns each containing the chord for the corresponding measure. Something like:

a  a  a  e  E  E  E7  A

Not really that hard. (a = a minor -- A=a major -- two *_different_* chords.) However because the first time an "a" chord is used it's minor the auto correct feature insists that ALL "a" cords must be minor (what lunacy!). The result is:

a a a e e e e7 a (please note that these two are NOT the same.)

I've NEVER been able to turn this off, in spite of the help instructions. Placing a quote mark before the "A" and the quote prints. It's like trying to create a list of words using the spreadsheet or word processor. SOME words begin with capital letters, some don't. Changing that either makes the word wrong or changes the meaning. Why is this NOT understood...

Similarly I have a budget spreadsheet using OO. I have a column for my Health Savings Account (HSA). Of course the spreadsheet makes me use "HAS". May *I* be permitted to decide what information goes in the cells....please?

Exasportated in Seattle,
pHIL

First of all, as a fellow musician, I fully appreciate the difference between "E7" and "e7"!

Try the following:

Go to Tools > Cell Content

You'll probably see that the selection Autoinput is checked.

Click on it, to uncheck it.

That should take care of your problem.