David Shine wrote:
This morning I have spent 3 hours so far trying to downloas open office via
Firefox.

I first went to a site claiming to be you ( their phone number is 866-903-4555)
and although claiming to be free I paid $49+ to join. I installed their product
but nothing came to my desktop. I called the 24 hour 866 number and no one was
there.

I then tried another site from the Firefox search and this time I was lucky. I
think I got it. Spent a long time downloading and installing. I now have the
following icons on my desktop: - Open office(EN-US), Open office 2.4 and
OOo-2.4.1. The first two icons just give me a list of installation files and
the third tries to reinstall.

Where did you download it from. The best place to get it is www.openoffice.org.

Assuming you're running Windows, you download OpenOffice and then double click on the download file. This will start the installation process. When that's complete, there should be an OpenOffice folder and icons in your Start menu. Use the icons to start the various OpenOffice components. Once installation is complete, you can delete the desktop folders. If you don't have OpenOffice in your start menu, then do the install, using 2.4.1.