Ace-Jan Weeks wrote:
I downloaded OpenOffice in April and haven't been able to figure out how to use
it. We have the 97 version of Microsoft Office and when we receive email
attachments (Word or Power Point) they go directly to the Open Office version.
As you can tell, I'm not very computer savvy but have been using Word since '97. If I try
to find Open Office Word, the only files I can find are the "installation
files." What am I doing wrong?

If your attachments are being opened by OpenOffice, then it must be installed and you should see an OpenOffice folder & icons in your Start menu. You can use those icons to start the various OpenOffice components. You can use OpenOffice, as you would any office suite, such as Microsoft Office and you can have both Microsoft Office and OpenOffice on the same computer, if you wish. Your attachments are going to OpenOffice because, during the installation, you told OpenOffice to be the default application for Microsoft Office files. If this is not what you want, you can change it back to Microsoft Office, by following these directions.

Changing file associations

Right click on file icon
Select Open With > Choose Program...
Check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and choose the desired application.
If that method is not available, follow the directions listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859