Steve Wray wrote:
> Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
>> Steve Wray wrote:

>>> Well thats a nice start.
>>>
>>> Now, to follow on from that great progress, how do I get it so that
>>> the directory where the root filesystem lives corresponds to the name
>>> I set instead of the numeric VEID?
>>>
>> No standard way.
>>
>> I guess you can create a symlink; something like this:
>> vzctl set $VEID --name $VENAME --save
>> (cd /vz/root && ln -s $VEID $VENAME)
>>
>> Same for /vz/private if you need it.
>>
> I did find that after one has created a virtual machine configuration
> one can edit its config file and add:
>
> VE_ROOT="/var/lib/vz/root/vz1"
> VE_PRIVATE="/var/lib/vz/private/vz1"
>
> for example.
Both VE_ROOT and VE_PRIVATE can be set in vzctl create (--root and
--private options). If you want to change those values later (either by
using vzctl set or by editing a configuration file) you also have to
move the existing directories (otherwise it won't make sense) --
something like this:

vzctl stop $VE
vzctl umount $VE
mv /vz/private/$VE $NEW_VE_PRIVATE
rmdir /vz/root/$VEID
mkdir $NEW_VE_ROOT
vzctl set $VE --root $NEW_VE_ROOT --private $NEW_VE_PRIVATE

Now, if you need those symlinks, move them as well. vzlist -oname $VEID
should tell you the name of your VE if you want to script this operation.
> I have yet to figure out the 'vzctl create' commands though; they
> appear to require an OS template tarball.
Yep. There are a lot of such tarballs available from
http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/
http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/
> While I dropped a root filesystem tarball into the required place,
> vzctl create didn't like it.
Well, it should be a normal root filesystem tar.gz file, better having
Linux distro at the beginning of a filename (this is how vzctl guesses
which distro is it -- for distro-dependent operations like IP
configuration). So you'd better name your tarball like
debian-4-${whatever}.tar.gz

Other problems that may be with your tarball are:
 - it's tar.bz2 tarball
 - it's missing some really required stuff like system libs or /sbin/init
 - it's not a root filesystem, for example all the filenames are
prefixed with /root or smth.

Finally, in some cases you need to do some modifications; those should
be described in http://wiki.openvz.org/Physical_to_VE.
> I'll keep plugging away.
>
> OpenVZ looks pretty good for performance scaleability but what I'd
> love to see is better management scaleability.
>
> If there are any tools which abstract away some of the detail for
> management of multiple virtual machines I'd like to know. I did try
> easyvz (http://sourceforge.net/projects/easyvz) but there were
> problems with the python dependencies. I run Debian Etch; when I tried
> to run the gui there were issues with strange characters in the python
> script.

OpenVZ is more of a virtualization technology with good CLI. If you are
looking for a high-level GUI, you'll have to develop one, or join some
other team developing GUI for OpenVZ (those should be listed at
http://wiki.openvz.org/Control_panels), or use Virtuozzo which comes
with a few GUIs.