This is probably a problem with VE start, not stop. VE started badly and can not stop.

This is known issue (a bad interaction of Ubuntu's upstart (init replacement) and vzctl) which is fixed in upcoming vzctl release, see http://bugzilla.openvz.org/662

Now you have three options:
1. Wait for next vzctl release (should happen real soon now).
2. Replace upstart with init (sysvinit) inside a VE
3. Rebuild vzctl either from GIT or just adding the patch from git linked from bug #622.

Cliff Wells wrote:
Hardware: dual Opteron 242
Kernel: linux-2.6.18-openvz-028.049
Host OS: Gentoo
Guest OS: ubuntu-7.10-i386-minimal

Both host and VE are fresh installs.

I noticed that "vzctl stop 101" would fail with

Stopping VPS ...
Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out

This of course also prevented me from properly shutting down the system
(power off required).

I found a post [1] that seemed related, which led to investigating halt
commands:

vps1 ~ # vzctl enter 101
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/# halt -p
shutdown: Unable to send message: Connection refused
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/# halt
shutdown: Unable to send message: Connection refused [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/dev# halt -fp
got signal 9
exited from VE 101
vps1 ~ #

Does this appear to be a problem with OVZ or with the guest template?

[1] http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=6354&;