Hello,

I'm hoping a developer can point me in the right direction. Currently I'm
trying to do something that hasn't been possible in the past: using DRBD
inside a VE rather than on the host node. I know I could give the VE access
to the HN's /dev/drbd1 device, but I'm looking to actually run DRBD from
inside the container, which is something different altogether.
I'm not sure what all would be involved in making this happen, but I'm
thinking that I may have to create an OpenVZ kernel patch to allow for this.

As a possibly simpler solution, I recompiled the OpenVZ RHEL kernel to
include DRBD as a built-in feature rather than a kernel module. I did this
because I've read that it's impossible to allow a container access to
modules on the host machine. To my disappointment though, even as a built-in
part of the kernel, my VE still seems unable to use DRBD ('cat /proc/drbd'
shows nothing inside the VE, but does show output on the HN.)

I'm hoping to be able to use OpenVZ to contain my DRBD environments in
places where a full virtual machine would not be practical (it would be a
waste of resources on embedded systems).

Would any of you developers be willing to create a patch to allow VE's
access to the DRBD portion of the kernel? Or could someone tell me which
kernel source files would be involved in making this change? There is quite
a lot of code to read through, so I thought I'd see if anyone happens to
know where to start.

Thanks in advance,

- Stefanie