Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Been studying that.  Does not seem to compress backup.

Hmmm, I see this within some of the shell script code:

  tar cf backup.tar.xz

Someone altered that... as that just means (c)reate (f)ile  You need to add J
for xz compression.  z for gz, etc.  It is just using the standard tar command
so there should be no mysteries... and you can use whatever flags you want for
whatever type of compression you want.

What I do for my own backups, rather than tar and compress, is to rsync to
another directory on the host... but if I wanted a compressed .tar file I would
do it on my rsync'ed copy after the fact.

> Also, does not spell out how to restore it.  Guess I can experiment but I
> really
> hopped ploop was far enough along that there were simple commands to
> do all this.

If you know how OpenVZ works, restoring it is fairly obvious but your mileage
may vary.  When a container is created a directory is created under /vz/private
named {ctid}.  Then the OS Template is extracted to that directory.  Restoring
from backup should be the exact same thing... or do you just want a few files?
It depends.

What does vzdump do?  How does it do its backup and restore?  It should be
fairly easy to mimic that.

What ploop does is give one an easy way to make a snapshot which one can make a
backup of however desired... without interrupting the running container.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.  I'll try to update the
wiki entry to add the compression flag.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle