On 22.07.2015 21:58, Scott Dowdle wrote:

"ext4 over ploop over ext4" wasting disk space as overhead.

That is the case for all disk-file-as-disk-image containers and not
unique to ploop.  You said if you can't use OpenVZ and ZFS together
(in the future maybe) then you'd switch to KVM... at which point
you'd probably being using qcow2.  I'm just saying. :)

Situation is different.

If I create block device on ZFS:

# zfs create -s -b 4K -V 128G tank/disk

This empty 128GiB disk will use only 64K on zfs pool:

# zfs list
NAME        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank       2.91G  3.53T    96K  /tank
tank/disk    64K  3.53T    64K  -

And later, if I mount this disk inside VM using XFS filesystem
with "discard,noatime" options - unused blocks inside VM will be
"discarded", and will no use storage space in the zfs pool at all.

For example, if I write 4.5GiB ISO image to filesystem inside VM,
and later delete this file inside VM - on the ZFS side this zvol
firstly grow in size of used blocks (+4.5GiB) and later after file
deletion - USED space decrease in size to previous values (-4.5GiB)
so only used blocks are marked as really used, overhead is near 0%.

And free space inside ZFS pool can be used by any dataset.

In case of ploop - free space inside ploop can't be used any more,
and from hardware node point of view - this disk space is wasted,
even in case when it unused and marked as free inside ploop image.

Thanks for your considerate conversation / discussion.
Much appreciated.

You are welcome!

--
Best regards,