On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:01 , Itamar Heim wrote:

> On 07/05/2012 09:55 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 05:20:36PM -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
>>> I wrote a basic how to for using glusterfs under oVirt.  If you have
>>> any questions or you find mistakes please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> http://www.middleswarth.net/content/installing-ovirt-31-and-glusterfs-using-either-nfs-or-posix-native-file-system
>>
>> Nice blog entry(ies)!
>>
>> You mentions that "We need to open some ports. There are several ways to
>> do this..."
>> But actually I think it would be better if the iptables rules stored in
>> the Engine db are to be tweaked. Frankly, I hate storing files in
>> databases - that's what filesystems were designed for!
>> So it would be nicer if the rules are moved to vds_bootstrap, where you
>> could easily put two flavors thereof: one for gluster and one for
>> virt-only.
>
> I believe the reason the iptable rules are in the db is that we can configure
> some of the ports.
sounds to me similar to other issues like sysprep customizations…
we do want to have user frriendly interface and provide a nice config of the
most useful parameters
yet we want to often provide better control for more advanced uses/users
Would it perhaps make sense to have a simple config with a nice GUI for few of
the ports we do configure often, and an option of editing/uploading of iptables
rules file? And I guess similarly for sysprep ...