Hello Lior,

Thank you for your reply.

Quoting "Lior Vernia" <lver...@redhat.com>:

This way the firewall VM will get something like "eth1" for VLAN 1,
"eth2" for VLAN 200 and so forth, which might be close enough to what
you described on your previous setup (oVirt currently doesn't allow
creating VLANs inside VMs). And if I correctly understood your needs it
will save you the trouble you described below (well, you would need the
one dummy interface).

That would be doable, except I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of vNICs a VM could have and/or if there is an OS-level limit to how many? It is also a bit "messier" IMO, but that is more of a personal issue than a technical one, and one I could probably get over :-)

When you say that oVirt currently doesn't allow creating VLANs inside VMs, are you referring to the use of VLAN interfaces like I describe (e.g., "eth1.1", "eth1.2", "eth1.10", etc.)? If so, is that an oVirt limitation, or a KVM one?

I have seen examples where one can create a "Trunk" with KVM and Open vSwitch, and I thought for some reason oVirt used Open vSwitch, but none of the commands I tried from the examples were found. A check of <http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Node/OpenVSwitchSupport> shows that indeed there does not appear to be any integration yet, and it is only 60% done :-(

With regards to using the dummy interfaces, I realised I probably do not need to add them to a bridge, since they would be physical NICs in production (this is just for testing). I initially did create the "ovirtvm" bridge before I realised that, but have made them "stand-alone" NICs with no IPs attached to them, but they are not "green" in oVirt when I try to attach my logical networks to them under "Networks > Hosts > vmhost01 > Setup Host Networks".

When I am in "Setup Host Networks", I see my dummy interfaces, but they have a red dot instead of a green one (like what "eth0" has). I can my logical networks to them, but the "Network Device Status" has a red arrow pointing down. Here are my ifcfg-dummy* files:

--- ifcfg-dummy0 ---
DEVICE=dummy0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DELAY=0
BOOTPROTO=none
NM_CONTROLLED=no
STP=no
--- ifcfg-dummy0 ---

My "ifcfg-dummy1" is identical, except of course it has "DEVICE=dummy1" in it. The interfaces do come up on the host, but as I said, in "Setup Host Networks" they have a red dot instead of a green one. Perhaps I do need to assign an IP? I can maybe assign a "dummy" one (i.e., one that I would never use)?

-Alan