Hi Joshua,

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 02:32:59 -0400
From: j...@wrale.com
To: users@ovirt.org
Subject: [Users] Post-Install Engine VM Changes Feasible?

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing 3.4 RC(2?) on Fedora 19.  I'm using hosted
engine, introspective GlusterFS+keepalived+NFS ala [1], across six nodes.

I have a layered networking topology ((V)LANs for public, internal, storage,
compute and ipmi).  I am comfortable doing the bridging for each interface
myself via /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*.

Here's my desired topology: http://www.asciiflow.com/#Draw6325992559863447154

Here's my keepalived setup:
https://gist.github.com/josh-at-knoesis/98618a16418101225726

I'm writing a lot of documentation of the many steps I'm taking.  I hope to
eventually release a distributed introspective all-in-one (including
distributed storage) guide.

Looking at vm.conf.in, it looks like I'd by default end up with one interface
on my engine, probably on my internal VLAN, as that's where I'd like the
control traffic to flow.  I definitely could do NAT, but I'd be most happy to
see the engine have a presence on all of the LANs, if for no other reason than
because I want to send backups directly over the storage VLAN.

I'll cut to it:  I believe I could successfully alter the vdsm template
(vm.conf.in) to give me the extra interfaces I require.  It hit me, however,
that I could just take the defaults for the initial install.  Later, I think
I'll be able to come back with virsh and make my changes to the gracefully
disabled VM.  Is this true?

[1] http://www.andrewklau.com/ovirt-hosted-engine-with-3-4-0-nightly/

Thanks,
Joshua

I started from the same reference[1] and ended up "statically" modifying
vm.conf.in before launching setup, like this:

cp -a /usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in
/usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in.orig
cat << EOM > /usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in
vmId=@VM_UUID@
memSize=@MEM_SIZE@
display=@CONSOLE_TYPE@
devices={index:2,iface:ide,address:{ controller:0, target:0,unit:0, bus:1,
type:drive},specParams:{},readonly:true,deviceId:@CDROM_UUID@,path:@CDROM@,device:cdrom,shared:false,type:disk@BOOT_CDROM@}
devices={index:0,iface:virtio,format:raw,poolID:@SP_UUID@,volumeID:@VOL_UUID@,imageID:@IMG_UUID@,specParams:{},readonly:false,domainID:@SD_UUID@,optional:false,deviceId:@IMG_UUID@,address:{bus:0x00,
 slot:0x06, domain:0x0000, type:pci,
function:0x0},device:disk,shared:exclusive,propagateErrors:off,type:disk@BOOT_DISK@}
devices={device:scsi,model:virtio-scsi,type:controller}
devices={index:4,nicModel:pv,macAddr:@MAC_ADDR@,linkActive:true,network:@BRIDGE@,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},deviceId:@NIC_UUID@,address:{bus:0x00,
 slot:0x03, domain:0x0000, type:pci,
function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface@BOOT_PXE@}
devices={index:8,nicModel:pv,macAddr:02:16:3e:4f:c4:b0,linkActive:true,network:lan,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},address:{bus:0x00,
 slot:0x09, domain:0x0000, type:pci,
function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface@BOOT_PXE@}
devices={device:console,specParams:{},type:console,deviceId:@CONSOLE_UUID@,alias:console0}
vmName=@NAME@
spiceSecureChannels=smain,sdisplay,sinputs,scursor,splayback,srecord,ssmartcard,susbredir
smp=@VCPUS@
cpuType=@CPU_TYPE@
emulatedMachine=@EMULATED_MACHINE@
EOM

I simply added a second nic (with a fixed MAC address from the
locally-administered pool, since I didn't know how to auto-generate one) and
added an index for nics too (mimicking the the storage devices setup already
present).

My network setup is much simpler than yours: ovirtmgmt bridge is on an isolated
oVirt-management-only network without gateway, my actual LAN with gateway and
Internet access (for package updates/installation) is connected to lan bridge
and the SAN/migration LAN is a further (not bridged) 10 Gib/s isolated network
for which I do not expect to need Engine/VMs reachability (so no third
interface for Engine) since all actions should be performed from Engine but
only through vdsm hosts (I use a "split-DNS" setup by means of carefully
crafted hosts files on Engine and vdsm hosts)

I can confirm that the engine vm gets created as expected and that network
connectivity works.

Unfortunately I cannot validate the whole design yet, since I'm still debugging
HA-agent problems that prevent a reliable Engine/SD startup.

Hope it helps.

Greetings,
Giuseppe