On Sun, 11 May 2014, Itamar Heim wrote:

 I just inherited an oVirt cluster at work that's running 3.2 on
 Fedora 18 and would dearly love some direction about updating
 things without a system-wide downtime.

1. no downtime should happen, as you can upgrade hosts by moving
   them to maintenance, which will live migrate VMs running on them.

2. fedora 18 is EOL, so 'yum update' isn't going to help here.

3. re-install host should refresh vdsm and its dependent packages if
   the repo's configured have newer versions. when the host is in
   maint, you can simply run 'yum update' on the host, then
   re-activate it (of course reboot if kernel got updated, etc.)

I've followed those steps, and I can get VMs migrated *to* the updated nodes. I have two worries:

 1. VMs migrated to the updated nodes cannot be migrated back to the
    old nodes. So once I start, it's all-in or nothing. Is that to be
    expected?

 2. Once all the nodes are backed up, is there a fairly sure-fire way
    to update the master engine? Is that documented somewhere?

Thanks!

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com