On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Simone Tiraboschi <stira...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Simone Tiraboschi <stira...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Adding also Marcin here.
>> I reproduced it as well and I can confirm that the external provider was
>> called 'OVN' by default at 4.1 time but now engine-setup will create by
>> default a new provider called 'ovirt-provider-ovn'.
>> Both the two providers are now configured in the engine to be reached at
>> https://<enginevm_ip>:9696
>>
>> The engine can successfully talk with ovirt-provider-ovn while I get
>> errors like 'Error while listing external networks: EngineException:
>> (Failed with error Connection reset and code 5050)' when I try to query
>> the old OVN provider.
>> Logical networks previously attached to the old OVN provider are still
>> there in the engine and they are still attached to the old OVN provider.
>> Unfortunately I'm not able to start/restart VMs with interfaces on a
>> logical network defined on the OVN provider.
>> I manually recreated the missing networks on the new 'ovirt-provider-ovn'
>> provider and I reattached my VMs there and at that point I was finally able
>> to start again my VMs.
>>

> Another strange behavior.
> I was't able to remove the old OVN provider since a few logical networks
> was still attached to that.
> So I removed all of them from the engine and then I manually removed the
> old OVN provider and only at this point all of my old logical networks
> manually reappeared in the engine as attached to the new 4.2
> 'ovirt-provider-ovn'.

Thank you very much Simone for your tests!
This is a test environment, but with about 40 VMs of a certain importance
and I would like to preserve it in 4.2
So with your tests you are confirming that the engine-setup for updating
engine completes without problems and impacts on current databases and then
the  update of the hosts doesn't go into exception, correct?
I can manage to have a temporary downtime for the few VMs defined on ovn
(mainly used as intracluster network) and re-setup them on the new provider
in 4.2

Just a curiosity: does this mean that when the engine-setup should
configure the Northbound and Southbound DBs (and not... bridge... as I
wrote before ;-) it simply skips without aborting?
This was one of my major concerns...

Gianluca