27.11.2018 16:15, Eitan Raviv пишет:
According to cloud-init 0.7.9 documentation cloud-init is configured
to run by default on each boot [1] and to render the user-selected
network configuration on first boot [2]. Also, in absence of a data
source to configure the network, it will fall back to configuring DHCP
on eth0 [2].

As you noted, if you run a VM once, and then in the next regular run
the cloud-init flag is not selected in the VM configuration in engine,
there is no data-source and cloud-init falls back to dhcp as
documented.

Thanks for the explanation. What intended use of this subsystem/feature are supposed to?

My setup is not in cloud, it's local and use static IP adresses for VM.
I do not want to configure each VM network in console by hand.
I create VM from template (template have installed cloud-init package), configure cloud-init hostname/eth0 network in engine, and as "custom script" (at the same moment) I set a "touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled" ? Then I "Run once" a VM, stop it, and run as usual without data source and fallback. Or I name network interface not "eth0" and therefore without need for custom script?

The 'marker' file you refer to are also documented as follows:

* disabling cloud-init altogether [1] with: touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled
* preventing cloud-init from configuring the network [2] with: echo
‘network: {config: disabled}‘ >> /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg
whichever scenario is used to run a VM, this can be accomplished by
adding the above commands to the custom_script that cloud-init runs at
the last stage of its operation [3].

There is possibly a third 'hack' that would not require any marker file:
* assign your static IP to a NIC not named 'eth0'
I have not tested it myself but it looks like a corollary of [2]

HTH

[1] https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/0.7.9/topics/boot.html#generator
[2] https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/0.7.9/topics/boot.html#local
[3] https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/0.7.9/topics/boot.html#final