On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 8:18 AM Tony Brian Albers <t...@kb.dk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2018-12-01 at 00:15 +0000, Peter C. wrote:
> > Hello and sorry for the ignorance behind this question. I've been
> > reading about various scale out, "hyper convergence" solutions and
> > want to ask this about oVirt.
> >
> > I do vulnerability scanning on my company's assets. I do it from an
> > obsolete laptop that was given to me. The load goes over 13
> > sometimes, and the scans take a long time.
> >
> > If I built an oVirt cluster from 4 or 5 desktop pc's, build  VM to
> > run OpenVAS, would the cpu load demanded by the scanning be spread
> > accross the 3-4 hosts, not inlcuding the management host, and therby
> > give my scans more CPU power?

As Tony replied below, no.

> > If not oVirt, is there another project that would be better suited to
> > what I'm trying to achieve?

Depending on definition. If "what you are trying to achieve" is to
run a multi-threaded application on multiple independent physical machines,
then the the most famous answer ~20 years ago was "mosix". Feel free to
spend some time playing with it. When I tried it, it did work as advertised,
but as was quickly understood by many that were fascinated by it when first
announced (at least, when the linux version was first announced), it's
almost always the worst solution in terms of performance. It's still
being developed, probably getting better over the years, but you are much
better off splitting your work to multiple processes that are explicitly
managed on separate machines. One way to do that, for your specific case,
is what Tony suggested - split your network address range between the
machines and let each scan a chunk of the range.

Best regards,

> > Qualifiers:
> > -I'm not asking if this is the best way to get high-load scanning
> > done. I'm just asking if I'll get the combined power from the cpu
> > cores of all the host machines. The scanning jobs thread already.
> > -I know it would probably be more efficient to get a powerful multi
> > core workstation or server to do this. That is not my question.
> > -The pc's are perfectly good, they are just not being used and won't
> > be used for anything else.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > message/S5WBOBNB6IRXWKIDITYIGGR6NUYMYSFM/
>
> Good morning,
>
> No, I'm afraid that won't work. oVirt does not pool the resources in
> a way that makes it possible to distribute a workload over severel hosts.
>
> IMO there are two options for you:
>
> 1. Set up the machines identicall but let them work on each their own part
> of your network, separated by subnets or something similiar.
>
> 2. Look into something like python-openvas that might make it possible for you
> to automate the distribution of the workload to several hosts.
>
> HTH
>
> /tony
>

> --
> --
> Tony Albers
> Systems Architect
> Systems Director, National Cultural Heritage Cluster
> Royal Danish Library, Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark.
> Tel: +45 2566 2383 / +45 8946 2316

Didi