On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM maoz zadok <mao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello users,
> After a painful experience with a crashed engine and a problematic recovery
> from a backup, I was thinking to create one more engine in standby mode in
> the same network, that will automatically recover backup files from the
> active engine on a daily/hourly basis.
> This way I'll run recovery tests every day automatically and easily switch in
> case of engine failure with a DNS record change to the passive engine.

Makes sense. I think I heard about people doing this, do not have details.

> So the main question, is it harmful to have more then one engine alive if
> only one is been modified?

It's harmful even if they are identical, because they do not know
about each other. Each thinks it's the only one controlling the hosts,
and they might give hosts conflicting commands to do.

> can the standby engine affect the host nodes?

Yes, that's the main problem.

If you go this way, I suggest to not let the backup server access
your hosts normally, and think about some other way to test it.

When you need to activate it, open access to the hosts (and change
DNS).

Obviously, this requires very careful planning, implementation and
on-going operation.

Most people that need HA engine use ovirt-hosted-engine, and some
others use a single engine vm managed by some other means (e.g.
some other virt solution, another instance of oVirt, or plain kvm
and libvirt plus some custom HA stuff).

Best regards,
--
Didi