On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 22:14, Darrell Budic <bu...@onholyground.com> wrote:

> I agree, been checking some of my more disk intensive VMs this morning,
> switching them to noop definitely improved responsiveness. All the virtio
> ones I’ve found were using deadline (with RHEL/Centos guests), but some of
> the virt-scsi were using deadline and some were noop, so I’m not sure of a
> definitive answer on that level yet.
>
> For the hosts, it depends on what your backend is running. With a separate
> storage server on my main cluster, it doesn’t matter what the hosts set for
> me. You mentioned you run hyper converged, so I’d say it depends on what
> your disks are. If you’re using SSDs, go none/noop as they don’t benefit
> from the queuing. If they are HDDs, I’d test cfq or deadline and see which
> gave better latency and throughput to your vms. I’d guess you’ll find
> deadline to offer better performance, but cfq to share better amongst
> multiple VMs. Unless you use ZFS underneath, then go noop and let ZFS take
> care of it.
>
> On Mar 18, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Strahil <hunter86...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Darrel,
>
> Still, based on my experience we shouldn't queue our I/O in the VM, just
> to do the same in the Host.
>
> I'm still considering if I should keep deadline  in my hosts or to switch
> to 'cfq'.
> After all, I'm using Hyper-converged oVirt and this needs testing.
> What I/O scheduler  are  you using on the  host?
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil Nikolov
> On Mar 18, 2019 19:15, Darrell Budic <bu...@onholyground.com> wrote:
>
> Checked this on mine, see the same thing. Switching the engine to noop
> definitely feels more responsive.
>
> I checked on some VMs as well, it looks like virtio drives (vda, vdb….)
> get mq-deadline by default, but virtscsi gets noop. I used to think the
> tuned profile for virtual-guest would set noop, but apparently not…
>
>   -Darrell

Our internal scale team is testing now 'throughput-performance' tuned
profile and it gives
promising results, I suggest you try it as well.
We will go over the results of a comparison against the virtual-guest
profile
, if there will be evidence for improvements we will set it as the default
(if it won't degrade small,medium scale envs).