Firewalld was deployed  in EL7 , because they got plans of getting rid of
iptables.
With EL8  , we got only emulation of iptables for backward compatibility.

Also the integration between NetworkManager.service and firewalld  is quite
good  - which is another reason behind that.

Last but not least, in the enterprise almost all systems are with firewalld
down and behind hardware-based appliances  and keeping the complex filtering
away of the systems.
Thus firewalld is nice for simple tasks, while complex tasks require nftables

It makes sense and we have to deal with the changes or get extended support for
as long as possible :)

Best Regards,
Strahil NikolovOn Jul 10, 2019 18:13, Michael Watters <watte...@watters.ws>