On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:43 AM Dan Poltawski <dan.poltaw...@tnp.net.uk>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read various posts[1] on this list, but I must confess that I am
> still not entirely clear on the process for moving a hosted engine to a
> new storage domain (in my case I want to move from an existing NFS
> server to a new iSCSI target). Some of what i've read make me slightly
> concerned it's a risky operation and in my situation I am just
> prototyping and retaining the existing engine will be saving some time
> rather than mission critical.
>
> Is anyone able to outline the steps to me?

The flow is:
1. set hosted-engine global maintenance mode
2. choose one of the existing hosts and set it to maintenance mode from the
engine
3. take a backup of your current engine with engine-backup
4. copy the backup file to your host
5. on the host in maintenance mode run:
    hosted-engine --deploy --restore-from-file=backup.tar.gz
6. at the end you will have a new engine VM created from your backup file,
the previous hosted-engine storage domain will be still visible (although
renamed) so that you can eventually migrate additional VMs created there by
mistake; at the end you can remove it
7. one host at at time, set other hosted-engine hosts to maintenance mode
and choose reinstall being sure to choose to deploy hosted-engine
that's all.

> thanks,
>
> Dan
>

> [1] https://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-June/082466.html
>
> ________________________________
>
> The Networking People (TNP) Limited. Registered office: Network House,
> Caton Rd, Lancaster, LA1 3PE. Registered in England & Wales with company
> number: 07667393

> prohibited.

Simone Tiraboschi

He / Him / His