On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 8:55 PM <bob.fran...@mdaemon.com> wrote:

> Full disclosure here.....I am not an Ovirt Expert. I am a network Engineer
> that has been forced to take over sysadmin duties for a departed co-worker. I
> have little experience with Ovirt so apologies up front for anything I say
> that comes across as stupid or "RTM" questions. Normally I would do just that
> but I am in a bind and am trying to figure this out quickly. We have an OVirt
> installation setup that consists of 4 nodes and a server that hosts the
> ovirt-engine all running CentOS 7. The server that hosts the engine has a
> pair of failing hard drives and I need to replace the hardware ASAP. Need to
> outline the steps needed to build a new server to serve as and replace the
> ovirt engine server. I have backed up the entire /etc directory and the
> backups being done nightly by the engine itself.

Which nightly backups? Do they run engine-backup?

> I also backed up the iscsi info and took a printout of all the disk
> arrangement . The disk has gotten so bad at this point that the DB won't back
> up any longer. Get fatal:backup failed error when
>   trying to run the ovirt backup tool. Also the Ovirt management site is not
> rendering and I am not sure why.
>
> Is there anything else I need to make sure I backup in order to migrate the
> engine from one server to another?

Generally speaking, if you used engine-backup for backups, it should
be enough - it backs up all it needs from /etc.

If you didn't use that, /etc won't be enough. You also need a database backup.

If you do not have a backup of the database, you'll need to create a
new engine from scratch. You can then import the existing storage
domains and add the hosts. This will require downtime, and you'll
loose some stuff, so if you do have an engine-backup backup, better
use that.

In either case, assuming this is a production env, I suggest to first
test on a separate env to see how it all looks like.

> Also, until I can get the engine running again, is there any tool available
> to manage the VMs on the hosts themselves. The VMs on the hosts are running
> but need a way to manage them if needed in case something happens while the
> engine is being repaired.

Some management is possible via cockpit. It's much less than what the
engine allows.

If you search the list archives, you can find suggestions by people to
directly use libvirt/virsh after poking a bit inside your storage
domain. I'd not recommend doing that, unless you know very well what
you are doing and have no other solution (e.g. if storage is corrupted
enough so that import to a new engine fails).

> Any info on this as well as what to backup and the steps to move the engine
> from one server to another would be much much appreciated.

You can search the site for backup, restore, and import storage
domain, and should find the relevant pages. Please note that the pages
under /develop are written during development and are usually not
updated after a feature is complete. The official documentation is
under /documentation. That, in turn, is often outdated as well :-(.
You can use RHV docs in addition. These are more up-to-date and should
be 99% applicable to oVirt.

> Sorry I know this a real RTM type post but I am in a bind and need a solution
> rather quickly. Thanks in advance.

Good luck!
--
Didi