On January 22, 2020 6:46:39 PM GMT+02:00, Benedetto Vassallo
<benedetto.vassa...@unipa.it> wrote:
>Hello Guys,
>Here at University of Palermo (Italy) we are planning to switch from
>vmware to ovirt using the hyperconverged solution.
>Our design is a 6 nodes cluster, each node with this configuration:
>
>- 1x Dell PowerEdge R7425 server;
>- 2x AMD EPYC 7301 Processor;
>- 512GB of RAM (8x 64GB LRDIMM, 2666MT/s, Quad Rank);
>- 2x Broadcom 57412 Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ ethernet card;
>- 3x 600GB 10K RPM SAS for the OS (Raid1 + hotspare);
>- 5x 1.2TB 10K RPM SAS for the hosted storage domain (Raid5 +
>hotspare);
>- 11x 2.4TB 10KRPM SAS for the vm data domain (Raid6 + hotspare);
>- 4x 960GB SSD SAS for an additional SSD storage domain (Raid5 +
>hotspare);
>
>Is this configuration supported or I have to change something?
>Thank you and Best Regards.
>  --
>Benedetto Vassallo
>Responsabile U.O. Sviluppo e manutenzione dei sistemi
>Sistema Informativo di Ateneo
>Università degli studi di Palermo
>
>Phone: +3909123860056
>Fax:     +3909123860880

Hi,

Recently it was mentioned that there were some issues with the 'too new' EPYC.
For now, you can do :
1. Use some old machines for initial setup of the HostedEngine VM (disable all
Spectre/Meltdown in advance) -> and then add the new EPYC-based hosts and
remove the older systems. Sadly, the older  systems cannot be too old :)

2. Host the HostedEngine VM on your current VmWare environment or on a separate
KVM host. Hosting the HostedEngine on bare metal is also OK

3. Wait (I don't know how long) till EPYC issues are solved.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov