Hi,

memory overcommit in oVirt has a different meaning indeed.

oVirt tracks the amount of memory allocated to all running VMs and
will not let you start an additional VM once the full capacity of the
node is reached. The important thing to realize is that this is in no
way related to the current memory consumption of a VM. This resource
tracking is making sure all VMs will have enough memory on the node
even if they all decide to use their full allocation at the same time.

Memory overcommit in oVirt is exploiting the fact that the situation
described above does not happen all that often. In fact, it almost
does not happen at all, especially in the virtual desktop use case. So
we let the user specify how much can the VM allocation grow above the
physical memory capacity of a node (- some overhead for system and
such).

Does this make sense to you?

Best regards

--