On 6/10/20 1:30 PM, Diggy Mc wrote:
Does 4.4.x support adapter teaming?  If yes, which is preferred, teaming or
bonding?

(just an informational post)

Linux (not necessarily oVirt), supports various "bond modes", see:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/networking_guide/sec-using_channel_bonding

(you are welcome to Google other sources besides Red Hat)

Linux bond mode 4, is LACP, 802.3ad, what traditionally you'd want and is for sure supported in oVirt host nodes (because we use it, so I know it works). We use this for the non-SAN side of the fence and using multiple VLAN tags. Essentially, due to limitation of ports on the nodes, we run everything non-SAN on the LACP bond.

With that said, iSCSI multipathing (as in oVirt), which is not a "bond" as discussed thus far, but was called "bonding" in early oVirt is just multipathing. And is what you'd use for storage coming off a SAN. I mention this because of the historical confusion of what this was called in early oVirt. In our case, we have 4 x 10Gbit paths on each node going to our SAN.

LACP requires cooperation of the switches involved (I say switches because multi-chassis link aggregation is often supported). Usually you work with your network admin to configure the switch side (of course, one could be wearing all of the hats).

Microsoft Teaming has various configurations, some of these map closely to Linux bond modes (default is either like mode 2 or mode 6 in Linux I think, but there may not be anything close to a direct mapping) and obviously, there's still the ubiquitous LACP, which certainly is the "standard" present in both OS's. I mention this, because usually when I hear someone say "teaming" they are coming from a Microsoft background.