Edit (adding users , so that they can correct me if im wrong , or provide
more inputs)

Hi Holger,

Yes, (someone else correct me if im wrong),  it is possible via gluster
ansible deployment, and if i'm not wrong , initially you need to deploy the
usual 3 node setup and then add then add in further hosts in the sets of 3
( i believe maximum of 12 nodes is supported) and then create a new gluster
volume in the new nodes and then expand the existing nodes to
accommodate new disks on the new host.

i believe this doc
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_hyperconverged_infrastructure_for_virtualization/1.6/pdf/automating_rhhi_for_virtualization_deployment/Red_Hat_Hyperconverged_Infrastructure_for_Virtualization-1.6-Automating_RHHI_for_Virtualization_deployment-en-US.pdf>
should
you give you a little insight:- its a little old but gives you an idea

hope this helps!

Regards,
Prajith Kesava Prasad.