On 11/23/2020 5:56 AM, Harry O wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone help me with the performance on my 3 node gluster on zfs (it is
setup with one arbiter)
The performance on the single vm I have on it (with engine) is 50% worse then a
single bare metal disk, on the writes.
I have enabled "Optimize for virt store"
I run 1Gbps 1500MTU network, could this be the write performance killer?

it usually is.

Remember that the data has to be written to both the local and the other nodes (though in the case of the arbiter its just the metadata).

So 1Gb/s is going to be slower than local SATA speed.

This is not a Gluster issue. You will find it with all distributed File Systems.

Is this to be expected from a 2xHDD zfs raid one on each node, with 3xNode
arbiter setup?
Maybe I should move to raid 5 or 6?
Maybe I should add SSD cache to raid1 zfs zpools?
What are your thoughts? What to do for optimize this setup?
I would like to run zfs with gluster and I can deal with a little performance
loss, but not that much.

You don't mention numbers, so we don't know your defination of a "little" loss. There IS tuning that can be done in gluster, but the 1G network is going to be the bottleneck in your current setup.

Consider, adding ethernet cards/ports and using bonding (or teamd).

I am a fan of teamd which is provided with Redhat and Ubuntu distros. Its very easy to setup and manage. As a bonus you get some high availability as a bonus.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/networking_guide/ch-configure_network_teaming

You *will* see an immediate improvement.

MTU 9000 (jumbo frames) can also help a bit.

Of course 10G or better networking would be optimal.

-wk