On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 12:25 PM James Freeman <james.free...@a24.io> wrote:

> Thanks Didi
>
> Great pointer - I have just performed a fresh deploy - am in the
> hosted-engine VM, and in /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine-log, I can see the
> following 3 lines cycling over and over again:
>
> 2021-01-19 05:12:11,395-05 INFO
> [org.ovirt.vdsm.jsonrpc.client.reactors.ReactorClient] (SSL Stomp
> Reactor) [] Connecting to rhvh1.example.org/192.168.50.31
> 2021-01-19 05:12:11,399-05 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.monitoring.HostMonitoring]
> (EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-96)
> [] Unable to RefreshCapabilities: ConnectException: Connection refused
> 2021-01-19 05:12:11,401-05 ERROR
> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand]
> (EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-96)
> [] Command 'GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand(HostName = rhvh1.example.org,
> VdsIdAndVdsVDSCommandParametersBase:{hostId='12057f7e-a4cf-46ec-b563-c1037ba5c62d',
> vds='Host[rhvh1.example.org,12057f7e-a4cf-46ec-b563-c1037ba5c62d]'})'
> execution failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
>
> I can ping 192.168.50.31 and resolve rhvh1.example.org - however I note
> that firewalld on the hypervisor host (192.168.50.31) hasn't had
> anything allowed through it yet apart from SSH and Cockpit. Is this a
> problem, or a red herring?

Generally speaking, the deploy process connects first from the engine to
the host via ssh (22), then (also) configures firewalld to allow access
to vdsm (the oVirt host-side agent, port 54321), and later the engine
normally communicates with the host via vdsm.

Whether or not all of this worked, depends on exactly how you configured
your host's firewalld beforehand.

I suggest to start by not touching it, do the deployment, then see what
it does/did (and that it worked), then decide how you are going to adapt
your policy/tooling/whatever for later deployments, assuming you want to
harden your hosts before deploying.

> It seems that the hosted-engine is coming up and being installed and
> configured ok. The engine health page looks ok (as validated by
> Ansible). It looks like the hosted-engine is waiting for something to
> happen on the host itself, but this never completed - which I suspect it
> never will given that it cannot connect to the host.

The deploy process runs on the host, connects to the engine, asks it to
add the host, then waits until it sees the host in the engine with status
'Up'. It indeed does not try to further diagnose failures, nor fail more
quickly - if it's 'Up' it's quick, if it's not, it will wait for a timeout
(120 times * 10 seconds = 20 minutes).

> Am I on the right track?

You are :-).

Good luck and best regards,